Brown Rice vs White Rice: Which is Better?
Pick the nutrient-packed form of your favourite staple
In the contest between white and brown rice, the latter wins. The reasons are layered, just like the grain.
- In a whole grain of rice, only the hull, which is the outermost layer, is removed to get ‘brown’ rice. It retains its bran and germ, which contain vital nutrients. When brown rice is milled further, the bran and sometimes the germ are lost.
- Removing the bran and much of the germ lends white rice its longer shelf life. However, this process, along with polishing, removes the aleurone layer of the grain, which contains a bulk of the vitamins and healthy fats.
- Compared to white rice, brown rice is a richer source of dietary fibre, manganese, magnesium and vitamins B1, B3 and B6.
Here’s a healthy, easy-to-make recipe for a nutritious, no-fuss breakfast.
Brown Rice Pancake
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup skimmed milk
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- Salt to taste
1. Mix brown rice flour with milk. The mixture should have a pouring consistency.
2. Add spinach, onion, garlic, green chillies and salt.
3. Heat a pan and oil it lightly.
4. Spread the batter with a round spoon. Add a few drops of oil. Cook both sides.
5. Serve hot with a chutney or raita.
Adapted from Prevention India © July 2014. Living Media India Limited.